Wednesday, November 5, 2008

on your mark

One gunshot into the air, and..
I was running,
With my brothers and friends and love.
Took a deep breath,
Shut my eyes hard,
Ran as fast as I could,
For the golden cup.
I felt raised above the ground,
Only my toes coming in contact now and then.
Air hissed loudly in my ears.
I felt super-human.
I ran, I ran as fast as possible,
Leaving all behind,
My brothers, friends, love.
How much more,
When shall it be?
I opened my eyes..

The golden cup was there,
Far away,
But O!
My aged father, exhausted, defeated,
Whose footsteps I could see on the tracks,
Was sitting, in despair, deserted,beyond the cup.
He, had left his loved ones behind.
I tried to stop,
But my speed's inertia didn't allow me.
I turned back, still moving forward, skidding
To stop my brothers, friends and love,
Not to run after the golden illusion.
But they overtook me one after another,
Eyes shut furiously.
I shouted, but-
My words were lost ,
In the hissing of the air, near their ears.

8 comments:

Arnab Aditya Sethi said...

Fabulous poem. . .great usage of metaphors. . .a must read poem

Ananta Prasad said...

A genuine masterstroke.
This is going to be on the records.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pooja said...

master piece!!!

lovely!!!

Kunal Ashok said...

i really liked it dude!!

We are INDIANS said...

Fine dude....
A nice poem....

Unknown said...

dat was some good effort....
...lookin 4ward for more.....

sweta purohit said...

i dont know what to say...was lost in there..
i am still running.....and mayb because i see in the reflection of the golden cup my brothers and sisters runnning towards me.....
and the mirage of my father standing "beside" the cup and waiting for me....
this poem is a success for me if it generates enough inertia in me to stop before the cup.
i hope it does.